Monday 5 August 2019

Tom Jones - 1968 - I'm Coming Home FLAC


I'll Never Fall In Love Again/The Lonely One/Sixteen Tons/I'm Coming Home



"I'll Never Fall in Love Again" is a song written by Lonnie Donegan and Jimmy Currie, and first released by Donegan as a single in 1962. Its most commercially successful recording was by Tom Jones in 1967.

According to Jones

"I did some shows with Lonnie and we became friends.... One night he said: ‘Look, I have this song, you’d sing the pants off it. I've recorded it, but I can't really sing it. It's a sort of a rewrite of a song from the Thirties when the Depression was going on, called 'I'm Never Going To Cease My Wandering.' I knew that song, because a lot of guys used to sing it in pubs in Wales. I went to his house in Virginia Water, and he got this record out to listen to.... With the big chorus on it, it sounded fantastic. He was singing it Lonnie Donegan style, completely different from the way I did, like somebody busking..."

On first release, Tom Jones' recording reached number 2 in the UK Singles Chart but was less successful in the United States where it peaked at number 49 on the Hot 100, and number 28 on the Adult Contemporary chart.

As the follow-up to Jones' "Love Me Tonight", "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" was reissued in 1969 in the US, reaching number six on the Hot 100 and number one on the Adult Contemporary chart.

"Sixteen Tons" was only released as a single in the US where it reached #68 on the Billboard Hot 100 it was the 3rd single of the "Green, Green Grass of Home" album.

"I'm Coming Home"/ "The Lonely One" UK #2  US #57 was a single only release and was written by Les Reed. The songwriter recalled Jones' vocal in 1000 UK #1 Hits by Jon Kutner and Spencer Leigh: "When I recorded it in the studio, he insisted on singing amongst the strings, which is very hard for the engineer but he gave such a performance on that first take that all the musicians had tears in their eyes."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Heaps, interesting gem, what a set of pipes! Tony

    ReplyDelete